This page informs you about construction and other projects that may offer your firm a chance to identify future sources of new work and contracts.
It also points you in the direction of websites that publicise new tender opportunities and where new development proposals that are submitted for planning consent can be found.
You can access our Local Suppliers Guide, (Click here to download the Local Suppliers Guide).This list is of use to incoming firms because it describes a range of locally available manufacturing and services capability. See the on line version of the directory.
If you want your firm to be included in the guide please send your business's profile in to us using the format in the guide to email@example.com
There is a tremendous amount of investment either underway or planned to be implemented between now and 2020 in the Furness area of Cumbria.
Such investment is being undertaken by multinational companies moving into Furness as inward investors or through their re-investment, by expanding local companies, by local and central Government and utilities.
These are exciting times for firms to get involved in supply chain activity in Furness or for companies and enterpreneurs to invest here.
Very few areas of Britain have such a potential assured economic future derived from investment in long-term growth projects based on maufacturing. Furness has:
- The 350m pounds sterling Glaxosmithkline biopharmaceutical manufacturing investment which will have a life of 50 years and a demand for 300-500 skilled people supporte by a sophisticated Uk and globaL supply chain ;
- Bae Systems "7+4" potential of a fleet of nuclear powered submarines generating significant supply chain and job opportunities centred on Barrow and involving close cooperation with USA on delivering a common missile compartment for ther next submarine fleet carrying UK's strategic deterrent;
- expansion of global oil andf gas companies such as Gyrodata and Expro servicing subsea engineering needs worldwide;
- East Irish Sea offshore oil and gas and offshore windfarm developments, including the presence, in the port of Barrow of four long term operations and maintenance bases for the next 25 years
These core opportunities have potential to lead to substantial supply chain opportunities for local firms and for attracting new firms into Furness.
To discover what it is like to live and work in Furness at "Discover Barrow and Furness" our sister website - www.barrow.furness.co.uk .
Using Coastal Communities Fund resources we can help your business develop new supplier links and networks as well as facilitating access to companies looking for new supply chain solutions.
We can introduce you to the Manufacturing Advisory Service so you can take up their specialist help to improve Lean manufacturing processes and your supply chain readiness.
We also offer techical support or project management, and bespoke advice on the business case for investing in SW Cumbria.
We also help firms to find sites and premises, using locations such as The Waterfront, (see www.waterfrontbarrowbp.com), Pheonix Business Centre,Trinity Enterprise Centre or Furness Gate and Furness Business Park to become a base for growth or servicing contracts.
Projects planned or being undertaken in Furness
Here you will find information about some of the projects in our area.
1.Bae systems capital investment shipyard modernisation
2. GSK Biopharmaceutical facilities
3. Gyrodata 45,00ft2 r and d manufacturing centre
- Shanks MBT plant,Sowerby Woods , Barrow -underway led by Hansons and Ecodeco of Italy
- 41m, Furness College redevelopment and fit out -phase two underway led by Eric Wright Construction
- 6m, New build Walney school extension led by Eric Wright Construction
- Barrow Island Primary School extension rebuild led by Seddons
- Barrow Sixth Form College expansion
- Furness Academy new build - led by Kier Construction - due to start 26 March 2012 with 9.8m budget in 2012-13 source http://councilportal.cumbria.gov.uk/documents/b10935/%20Item%2015%20Draft%20Revenue%20Budget%20Capital%20Programme,%2009th-Feb-2012%2010.00,%20Cabinet.pdf?T=9
- Primary and secondary school capital maintenance projects each with around 1500000 and 1700000 in 2012-13 and the following year
Gas and solid state lighting investment at "The Gateway to Britain's Energy Coast":
- Merrow prospect Offshore gas exploration drilling at Mawflatt Lane, Walney by Nautical Petroleum
- Offshore gas exploration drilling by Centrica Energy
- Waste to energy plant for Plasco of Canada at Park Road,Barrow
- 80MW Biomass power station for Centrica Energy at Roosecote, Barrow
- Gas terminal acid plant modification overseen by Fluor for Conoco-Philips
- Stag Energy gas storage project and onshore gas terminal,East Irish Sea
- LNG import terminal and onshore gas terminal for Hoegh
- Solid state lighting investment by Marl,Forge Europa,Oxley Developments, Lumier and others
Offshore Wind Farm investment at "The Gateway to Britain's Energy Coast"
- Repower UK installation contract for 150Mw Ormonde windfarm contact Repower UK's Mr Shields
- Dong Energy's Walney 1 /2 windfarm led by the Seimens installation contract contact Alan Heslop
- Dong Energy Walney Extension wind farm due to start in 2013
- Dong Energy Walney One windfarm operations base warehouse and offices - contact Thomas Armstrong
- Scottish Power Renewables West of Duddon Sands Windfarm operations base warehouse and offices to be developed in partnership with Dong Energy,including new onshore support base at Barrow port.
- Infinergy onshore wind farm at Harlock near Dalton
Social Care Facilities
- 6m Dane Garth new care facility at Furness General Hospital Barrow
- 60 bed elderly persons care home for Cumbria County Council at cost of around 6.688m
- 5m new facility for maternity care at Furness General Hospital Barrow
Business Park Investment
- The Waterfront Business Park investment, Barrow
- NPL's Canal Head Business Park, Ulverston
- Business park and or possible Sainsbury investment at Daltongate Ulverston
- expansion by Partylite at Sandscale Park, Barrow
A590 Trunk Road Investment by the Highways Agency
- A590 maintenance contracts let by the Highways Agency
- New A590 roundabout , Greenodd (estimated cost 2m)
- Greenodd- Bouth improvement
- Brettargh Holt slip road near Kendal
- Cumbria County Council has over 11.2m to invest in highway projects see http://councilportal.cumbria.gov.uk/documents/b10935/%20Item%2015%20Draft%20Revenue%20Budget%20Capital%20Programme,%2009th-Feb-2012%2010.00,%20Cabinet.pdf?T=9
- bridge maintenance projects in Cumbria costing 8,287m over the next three years
- road safety studies such as A5084 Lowick Green A593 Coniston South Lakeland 7K
- Multi million investment in facilities to support future submarine development at Barrow shipyard
Public sector tender opportunities
- You may also wish to consult public authority contacts for information on their planned projects see http://www.publictenders.net/
- Many appear in capital investment programmes usually found in their capital programmes in Council cabinet paper agendas or on
- The Chest website. See https://www.thechest.nwce.gov.uk/cms/cms.nsf/vHomePage/fSection?OpenDocument
- Contract Finder is also useful see http://www.contractsfinder.businesslink.gov.uk/
Examples of public sector contracts
Barrow Borough Council
The Council's Revised Capital Programme presented in the Execurtive Committee http://www.barrowbc.gov.uk/pdf/EC14DEC11.pdf as at 30th November, 2011 is 8,515,181
It includes for example a Capital Programme 2012-2013 to 2015-2016 at http://www.barrowbc.gov.uk/pdf/EC14DEC11.pdf on page 42 with investment in public housing,private housing,housing renewal, at the Duke street carpark, the town hall,marina village
Where to Find information about future public sector contract opportunities
Many public sector and other projects get advertised for tender on Tender websites . Look at
You could consult these regularily.
It is also important to demonstrate you have the required financial capability, project management and other skills to deal with complex projects when you submit your tenders.
Look out for details of events on our events page these include for example tendering masterclasses
To book your place at our masterclasses contact firstname.lastname@example.org tel 01229 820611